Monday, November 7, 2011

Test Knitting

Remember that bit of mystery that I mentioned in my last knitting post? I couldn't tell you about it then, but I can now. Here's the story...

My dear friend and knitting mentor, Christina Buckman, has recently started putting her patterns up for sale on Ravelry. She started with some of the patterns that she designed for the late, lamented Village Yarn and Tea, like one of my favorites, the Bulky Rolled-Edge Hat, which I have knit twice:


A couple months ago, Christy came to knitting group jazzed about a new design she was working on, a 1920s-style hat, knit in gorgeous madelinetosh tosh merino. She worked on the design over the next few weeks, and when it was finished, and the pattern written, she asked me to test knit it for her. I had never done a test knit before, so I was incredibly honored to be asked. What a wonderful pattern! I didn't have any madelinetosh tosh merino in my stash, but I did have Malabrigo Merino Worsted, another single ply merino yarn, with the same gauge as the madelinetosh. Christy's pattern is really fun, interesting and very clearly written, and the finished object is so cute. Here's the Mossy Patch Ear Flap Cloche, which just went on sale in the Ravelry pattern store today:



 

 As you can see in the last photo, which is from the pattern itself, Christy included an optional knitted flower that can be sewn on just above the ear flap. It's so cute, and very vintage—I think I may have to add that to my hat, too!

You can check out this, and Christy's other great patterns on Ravelry.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Julie for your encouragement and for being my test-knitter. Your hat turned out great. And thank you for your post to promote the hat; Big, big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The designer could not have picked anyone better to knit her wonderful pattern. As always is looks adorable on you. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete