Monday, December 26, 2011

Happy Hanukkah

Hanukkah is a new holiday for me. I started celebrating it in 1998, the year I met Mr. D, and it became a permanent part of my calendar in 2003, the year we got married. What I love most about Hanukkah is that it is truly a family holiday. Mr. D's sister always hosts the annual Hanukkah dinner, and all of the local nieces and nephews attend, along with, in recent years, boyfriends and girlfriends, and this year, for the first time, a fiancee (nephew Mike got engaged in October). We get together to eat potato latkes and matzo ball soup, sing songs, play dreydl, exchange presents, and enjoy each other's company.

I've put together a collection of scenes from several Hanukkahs to give you a taste of this wonderful, bright winter holiday.






2 comments:

  1. Hello, Julie,
    I'm a Julie, too and I love to knit especially socks. I also married a Jewish husband and acquired a whole set of holidays. In terms of our personal growth and development, we are both SGI Buddhists, so the holidays are more just fun and tradition. We're the ones who chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Wishing you and your family every happiness.
    Julie in SAn Diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie! (It's always nice to meet another Julie.) Best wishes to you and your family, too.

      Delete