Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Walks, Hikes and Wanders #21: Mountain High

Look where we went on our second day of hiking in Switzerland:


This breathtaking peak is Piz Bernina, as I saw it from Diavolezza, a mountaintop at elevation 9,770 feet (2978 meters) that we reached by cable car. I spent the first hour or so just drinking in the vistas that stretched out around me.

There were lots of cairns, both large and small. My mother-in-law and I had fun posing with the largest one.

One of the smallest cairns was perched precariously above the Morteratsch Glacier far below.


After a while, several of our group, including me, took off on a short hike of about a mile round trip, on a rocky trail above Diavolezza. At the highest point, we were at about 10,000 feet, and I was well aware of that altitude—it made me feel a little light-headed. You can see my sisters-in-law, the seven-year-old nephew, and one of the adult nephews ahead of me on the trail. You can also see just how rocky that trail was.



This was the point that I decided that it was time to turn around and go back down.

Once back at Diavolezza, I was happy to just enjoy the views (both reflected and real) and the cairns. Did I tell you that I really love cairns?




1 comment: