Thursday, August 7, 2014

Weekly Hike #8: Lots of Falling Water (But Not Falling Hikers)

Okay, let me start off by saying that I am ashamed that this post is about a hike that happened well over a month ago. I'm even more ashamed to admit that there have been no hikes since then, although there was a lot of travel and tons of walking, just nothing that could be called a real hike. I will fill you in on some of that travel in a later post, but now I want to get this post out of the way, because another hike will be happening tomorrow.

Mr. D and I didn't have a whole day for a hike, so he suggested that we hike to Bridal Veil Falls, which is an off-shoot of the Lake Serene Trail. He also said that it should be a fairly gentle hike—famous last words!
At first, he was exactly right, the trail was level and smooth
But then we took the off-shoot to the falls, and the trail changed drastically...
The scenery along the trail was worth it, however. Here an old growth stump serves as a nurse tree for two of its grandchildren.
After a half hour of very, very careful hiking, we finally reached the falls. It was pretty spectacular, but I'm still not sure it was worth negotiating all those rocks.
The views out across the valley were spectacular, too
Once we got back to the main trail, we walked a little further and stopped for a snack by this  small waterfall, which I liked even better than the roaring falls above it. And I didn't have to climb over a single rock to enjoy this one!

2 comments:

  1. I think I first saw your posts on a Ravelry forum, but I can't find you there now. I am also a hiker and recently acquired a DSLR. What do you use to carry your equipment when you hike? I am Straightfork on Ravlery if you want to Pm me there with suggestions. I am headed out to Bend OR in a couple weeks and really want a better system than I have now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, I just sent you a PM on Ravelry with a much more detailed response, but if I am taking my DSLR on a hike I just carry it (with the strap across my chest), and if I want my long lens with me, my husband carries it in his backpack. On most of my hikes, I just carry my point-and-shoot in a small case, and on rare occasions, I have just brought my iPhone and used that for photos.

      Delete