Sunday, September 18, 2011

Weekly Hike #12: Hot!



On Wednesday, September 7, Mr. D, my sister-in-law and I decided to hike to Snow Lake, in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness near Snoqualmie Pass. I've hiked this trail two or three times before, the last time about three years ago. I was a little nervous about this choice on this day, because the weather forecast predicted hot and sunny, and the trail has very little shade. Mr. D countered my misgivings by pointing out that we would get an early start and be up to the lake before it got too hot. Well, he had the right idea, but it was still quite warm on our climb up.  Much of the trail is steep, rocky and out in the open, as you can see in the photo below (that's my sister-in-law ahead of me on the trail):


We did eventually make it up to the ridge overlooking the lake basin, and the view almost made up for our uncomfortable ascent.


There were mountains in every direction.





The water in the lake was an amazing shade of blue-green, and bear grass, in full bloom, brightened our path.



While we were enjoying all of this lovely scenery, it was getting hotter and hotter, and it was well into the eighties by the time we headed back down the trail. It was definitely not a fun trip back to the trailhead, but I survived (just barely) to hike again. More about our next hike (#13) is coming up soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment