Friday, September 28, 2012

Walks, Hikes and Wanders #22: Glacier's End


Majestic and massive; just two words that describe the end of the Morteratsch Glacier. See that little line of dark bumps on the right of the photo? Those are PEOPLE, coming down the glacier from an all-day hike. Like I said, massive.

Needless to say, I wasn't hiking down the Morteratsch Glacier from Diavolezza, like the folks in the photo. Instead, we took the train from the base of the Diavolezza cable car run, got off at the next stop, and then hiked about two miles up the valley to the end of the glacier. I walked most of the way with one of the nephews, and had a pleasant and interesting conversation with him. (Mr. D was behind us, walking with his mother.)

And then we reached the end of the glacier. I love the blue color of the ice.


I walked along the river coming out of the glacier, and spotted some cairns alongside it. Perhaps you may have noticed that I love cairns.



I also love the sound of the river, and I made a video of it so you could both see the river's power, and hear its roar.


Everywhere I looked I witnessed the power and beauty of nature. But there was one scene that reminded me of the effect that humans have on this glorious landscape:


It's something to think about...

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post - your photography is really great. I also have a She Knits felted bag waiting to be done - you have inspired me to get it out and get it done for this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. I love my She-Knits bags, even though it took me forever to finish them.

      Delete